The national park in Skaftafell was founded in 1967. In 2008 it became a part of the Vatnajökull National Park.
In Skaftafell you can find many and diverse walking paths that suits all. The landscape is extremely beautiful and a short distance to glaciers or mountain
The campground is divided into zones.
The zones you can drive onto and use electricity are: Ugluflöt (A), Spóaflöt (B), Rjúpnaflöt (C) and Mávaflöt (D).
It is also possible to drive on zone Lóuflöt (E) but there is no electricity.
The zones that are for tents only and you can not drive onto are: Kjóaflöt (F), Hrafnaflöt (G) og Fálkaflöt (H).
Please make a note of the following campground rules:
- Always show respect and be considerate to other visitors. Enjoy the sounds of nature and avoid spoiling it with loud music or noise. Keep alcohol consumption at minimum.
- Peace and quiet shall prevail on the campground from 23:00 to 07:00.
- Collecting firewood within the national park is not permissible. Care must be taken when using charcoal barbeques, gas cookers and other cooking equipment, in order to prevent fire hazard and vegetation damage. Never pour dirty or boiling water on the ground.
- Pets are welcome if they are kept securely under control. Care must be taken not to allow them to disrupt either the biota or the peace of other visitors. Dogs must be kept on a lead.
- Keep your campsite and its surroundings neat and tidy. Put waste in refuse bins. Facilities for sorting waste are next to the visitor centre. Drinking bottles and cans with deposit can be put in separate collecting coops, for the benefit of the local search and rescue team.
Payment for a spot is for each camp unit (a camp unit can be a tent, a folding camper, a mobile home etc.) pr night: 500 kr
Prices, pr night:
Adults (18-66 years) : 1.750 kr.
Senior citizens (67 years and older) and the disabled: 1.500 kr.
Children (13 to 17 years) travelling with adults: 1.000 kr.
Children (12 years and younger) travelling with adults: Free
When two nights or more are paid there is a 300 kr discount pr individual for each night after the first night.
Example: A couple that pays for one night pays 1.750 kr for each plus 500 kr for the camping unit, total of 4.000 kr. But if two nights are paid at the same time the price is 300 kr lower for each individual and the extra night would be 3.400 kr. Total for two nights would be 7.400 kr.
Electricity (for each 24 hours): 1.000 kr
Washing machine: 500 kr
Group discount: 10 person group or more: 10% discount of the pr person price if paid when arrived and paid for the whole group together.